The Ubiquiti Unifi AP is the recommended wireless access point to be paired alongside the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X if wireless access (WiFi) is needed. The recommended Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X does not have a built-in wireless access point; therefore, an external access point is needed for wireless access. This article will walk you through the basic setup process for the Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC LR model access point.
These access points are powered via PoE and when purchased come with a PoE injector. Below is a diagram demonstrating the physical setup with the PoE injector.
Installation and setup
Once the access point has been powered on with the PoE injector the Unifi controller software has to be downloaded to setup the access point. The Unifi controller software can be downloaded here
- Once installed open the Unifi controller software.
- Once the software has been launched you should be given an option to launch the web browser UI, click on this. Note: In order to run the Unifi controller software Java is needed for this. You may get prompted to install Java in order to proceed.
- More than likely a security prompt will come up in the web browser, and this is normal. Select proceed anyway or select advance > proceed.
- You should be presented with a welcome and setup screen. When walking through the setup the Unifi controller software should automatically locate the access point on the network. Important: In order for the Unifi controller to find the access point it needs to be connected to the local network and must have an IP address assigned to it, typically this will be done by DHCP.
- Set an SSID (network name) and a security key (password).
- Set an admin username and password. This will be used for admin access to the Unifi controller if you want to manage the access point in the future.
- You should now be able to start connecting wireless devices to the network.
If you need to refer to additional documentation for setup assistance you can refer to the official setup guide here.